Male Eyelid Surgery Gallery
Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty
This procedure is recommended for men with excess fat or skin on the upper eyelid.
It begins with a small incision to the upper lid, where the natural fold would be. Excess skin and fat are gently removed, and the incision is closed. This technique helps hide the incision in the eyelid crease. The incision for men is slightly different from the incision for women, so that a more masculine look is achieved.
If the brows are low on the forehead, a conservative brow lift may also be recommended. This procedure can reposition the brows if they have begun to sag. If there is severe drooping that is causing vision problems, a blepharoplasty can restore your field of vision by removing the excess skin that is creating the problem.
Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty
Lower eyelid blepharoplasty may involve three actions:
- Removing or repositioning the fat pads below the eyes through a small incision inside the lower eyelid so the scar is completely hidden. Occasionally there is a small incision just below the eyelashes depending on the amount of excess skin. This leaves the eyelash follicles intact and minimizes any visible scarring.
- Filling in the circles under the eyes and deficiencies in the cheek area from deflation or a lack of volume. This is done with the patient’s own fat harvested by instruments Dr. Sullivan has designed and placed into the areas with his special small cannulas.
- Supporting the center section of the eyelid, which may be done surgically as determined by your doctor.
- Tightening or strengthening the lower eyelid which may require additional very small incisions.
Recovery from Blepharoplasty
Dr. Sullivan will give you detailed instructions on how to take care of yourself after surgery, and how well you follow them is important in ensuring you have a short recovery time. On average, patients are back to work in about one or two weeks, sometimes less. It takes three or four weeks to heal more fully. It depends on:
- The individual’s healing time.
- The amount of bleeding during surgery, (there is usually very little with Dr. Sullivan’s surgery) since this affects the amount of bruising. The more bleeding, the more bruising.
- How well directions for icing the area, keeping the head elevated and resting were done in the first few days by the patient.
If you smoke, it is recommended that you quit at least two weeks prior to surgery and do not resume until well healed, because smoking decreases blood flow and slows healing.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery for Men
One of the most surprising benefits of eyelid surgery is how much younger and more vital it can make you appear. Rather than a tired appearance, bags and circles, droopy, saggy eyelids that are associated with age, you will probably notice you look more alive, refreshed, and when the surgery is performed by Dr. Sullivan, the results are very natural in appearance. You will look like you – just younger.